Friday, December 14, 2012

Good Ole Gluten and Dairy Free Baking!

If you knew me about two years ago, you would know that baking wasn't my strong suit. One time, I tried to be nice and bake a cake for dessert but I ended having to throw out the cake pan... I still owe my mother a cake pan!
Anyways, now that I've expanded my horizons and have learned much about baking, I feel confident that I've become a jack (let's say... apprentice) of this trade!
I've looked at many different recipes and I have quite a few on my "to do" list, but in the Christmas spirit, I decided to tackle gingerbread! 
I got my inspiration from the Weight Watcher's gingerbread recipe but I changed a few things so that it suited my needs and tastes.
Below: my Gluten and Dairy Free Gingerbread Cookie recipe!
Gluten & Dairy Free Gingerbread Cookies
1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (or use a GF baking flour mix)
1/2 tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free baking powder
1/4 tsp. Bob's Red Mill baking soda
2 tbsp cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp. nutmeg, ground
2 tsp. ginger, ground
1/2 tsp. allspice, ground
1 egg white
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup Becel Vegan Margarine, melted

Mix together first 7 dry ingredients and set aside. Whisk together egg white, sugar, honey, syrup and margarine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until a thick dough forms.
Separate dough into pieces (as many as you'd like - remember, when you're cutting out cookie shapes, the size of the dough pieces should coincide with the counter space you have available) and wrap in either parchment paper or plastic wrap. Place in frig for 45 minutes - 1 hour until dough is firm but not stiff.
Heat oven to 375F. Grease or spray cookie sheet. Place dough on floured surface and roll out until about the thickness of half of your pinkie fingernail. Use cookie cutters or a knife to cut out cookie shapes and patterns. Apply any oven-safe decorations or candies and place in oven.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on oven. Use toothpick test to confirm that cookies are fully baked.
Let cookies cool, decorate, and enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment