Friday, March 29, 2013

Baked Lemon Chicken

Oft it is that I dream of salmon smothered in brown sugar and cooked with lemon. If it weren't for the allergy fairy, I would have salmon, lobster, shrimp, you-name-it seafood every night! Boo hoo - woe is me. However, dreaming of a recipe I can't make starts me up with thoughts of a recipe I can make- and eat!
This takes quite a bit of prep time, so this is one of those make-ahead dinners.

Baked Lemon Chicken
2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 cup gluten, dairy free, low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine (I like Gewurztraminer or Riesling)
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
dash of cayenne powder

1 lemon, sliced thinly
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. pure honey
1/2 tbsp. water
sprinkle of rosemary.

In medium-sized freezer bag (or extra Shake n Bake bag) combine ingredients from lemon juice to cayenne powder. Once mixture is thoroughly combined, place chicken breasts in bag. Twist-tie or seal bag tightly, and place in frig for a minimum of one hour to a maximum of two hours.
(I hate waiting for dinner, so I would do this right when I get home and slice up some fruit and veggies to tide us over... that way, we're munching on healthy snacks, we're not complaining about being starving, and I don't have to prepare a side dish!)
When your 'marinading' time has passed, preheat oven to 425F. Spray cooking oil or rub olive oil in oven-safe pan (I use, and will continue to use, a Corningware casserole dish). Place chicken breasts in dish and pour 'marinade' mixture over chicken breasts. Cut lemon and combine brown sugar, honey, and water. Rub brown sugar mixture on each side of breast, and place lemon slices evenly over top of chicken breasts.
Place dish in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with a sprinkle of rosemary over each chicken breast.
Enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary


No comments:

Post a Comment