Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Navigate the Holidays

There are three words I think of when I think holiday season: "OM NOM NOM!"
Sometimes, however, eating with a gluten and dairy allergy can become a major annoyance when you get a beautiful turkey stuffed with white bread chunks and Panko bread crumbs...  so much gluten!
Do NOT brush off your allergies and think, "Oh, I've been good - one night won't hurt."
Just don't do it. I made that mistake and I paid for it. A moment on the lips and a world of hurt for your colon!
Now, though, I usually bring my own food with me if the family member we are visiting doesn't know how to cook gluten and dairy free or, more often that not, doesn't want to.
Here's a recipe for turkey stuffing for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or just dinner!
(Try this in a sandwich with some leftover turkey, mayo, and pepper - yum!!)
This makes for about 4-6 people

Gluten & Dairy Free Holiday Stuffing
4 pieces of gluten and dairy free bread, toasted and crumbled
1/2 cup Kinnikinnick Panko style gluten and dairy free breadcrumbs
1/2 sweet onion, chopped and carmelized
1/4 cup vegan margarine (I like Becel)
1 tbsp. plain, unsweetened coconut milk
poultry seasoning to taste (put as much of this stuff in it as you want - it makes it!)

Mix ingredients together and stuff into turkey. Following cooking directions for turkey and leave stuffing inside until turkey is removed from oven.
If turkey drippings are available, mix about 1 tbsp. into the stuffing after it is placed into a separate bowl to be served.
Enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment